The Maryland Department of Health has presumptively identified the influenza virus strain H3N2v (variant flu) in seven Maryland residents who’d close connection with pigs in the Charles County Fair. No infected individuals is promoting severe illness or been hospitalized.
Maryland map/National Atlas from the U . s . States
Influenza is definitely an infection brought on by the influenza virus which could affect people along with other creatures, including pigs and wild birds. Signs and symptoms for that H3N2v strain overlap with periodic flu and can include fever and respiratory system signs and symptoms, for example a sore throat and cough. In the past, there’s limited human to human transmission out of this strain of variant flu. The therapy strategies for this strain of influenza overlap with for periodic flu.
LifeFone Medical Alert – Only $24.95 monthly, no lengthy term contract.
Twenty other installments of variant flu happen to be detected in other states this season. Of individuals, 18 were even the virus strain H3N2v. Illnesses connected using these variant flu infections happen to be mostly mild with signs and symptoms much like individuals of periodic flu. This Year, 13 individuals developed influenza after direct connection with sick pigs in the Queen Anne’s County fair in Maryland.
Others are in greater risk for complications of influenza, including children under five, the seniors, women that are pregnant, and individuals with chronic heart, lung, liver, kidney and neurologic conditions or immunosuppression. Multiplication of influenza, such as the possible spread of H3N2v, between humans could be avoided by:
- Staying away from close connection with sick people
- Restricting connection with others whenever possible should you are sick to help keep from infecting them and remaining home from school or work if you’re sick before you are fever free for twenty-four hrs without fever reducing medicines
- Covering your mouth and nose having a tissue whenever you cough or sneeze and get rid of the tissue soon after use
- Washing both hands frequently with water and soap or alcohol-based hand rub if water and soap aren’t available
- Staying away from touching your vision, mouth and nose
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and objects that could be contaminated with germs such as the flu and
- Obtaining the periodic influenza vaccine if this becomes available. Although not effective against H3N2v, it’s protective against other common strains of influenza.